Here's what I came up with: these Peppermint Mocha Kahlua Brownie Sandwich Cookies are VERY easy to make, they look deceptively impressive, and they're DELICIOUS. If you need something festive to bring to a New Year's Eve party, and don't have a lot of time, these would be great.
Here's how it's done:
For the cookies:
** Note: each brand of brownie mix is a little different, so you may need to make adjustments if the batter seems too dry or too wet. I used Ghirardelli dark chocolate brownie mix - my fave.
** The number of cookies will depend on how large you make your cookies. I like to use an actual cookie scoop, so that the cookies will be the same size. What size - that's up to you. Mine turned out huge. Monstrous, even! I ended up with 18 cookies, which made 9 sandwiches.
- 1 box brownie mix
- 1 egg
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup Peppermint Mocha Kahlua
- 1/4 cup flour
(1) Preheat the oven to 350.
(2) Mix the wet ingredients, then blend in the dry ingredients. The mixture should have the consistency of cookie dough. If it's too dry, add a little more Kahlua. If it's too wet, add another tablespoon of flour.
(3) Scoop onto a greased cookie sheet. Make sure you leave room for the cookies to spread out as they bake.
(4) Bake for about 12 minutes; a little more for larger cookies, a little less for smaller cookies. They'll spread out, and the tops will crack a bit like brownies do. Don't overbake - just like brownies, these fudgey cookies will set as they cool.
(5) Remove from the oven and let the cookies set for a few minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
For the filling:
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 2 candy canes, crushed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1.5 cups confectioner's sugar
- a couple drops of red food coloring (optional)
(1) Mix butter, vanilla bean paste, food coloring, and crushed candy canes. Slowly add the confectioner's sugar until your mixture is the desired consistency.
(2) Pipe or spread with a knife onto half of the completely cooled cookies, then add the other half to make cookie sandwiches.
|Peppermint Mocha Kahlua Brownie Sandwich Cookies|